Wednesday 29 August 2012

Spied: 2013 Volkswagen XL1

After confirming the XL1 concept for production early this year, Volkswagen has continued to test the upcoming XL1 Super Efficient Vehicle (SEV) in Southern Spain.

The two-seater supermini seems production-ready and can be seen in its full glory.

Development of the model started out nearly ten years ago, back in 2003 when Volkswagen unveiled its vision of a 1L car. A second, updated study was unveiled as the L1 back in 2009, and then last year, the diesel-powered XL1 concept was unveiled at the 2011 Qatar motor show.

Inside, we have an orthodox cabin layout - the previous projects showed a tandem seating layout – with standard HVAC controls plainly visible on the centre stack. A large LCD screen is present, but it remains unknown whether it is production specification or a testing instrument. To overcome obvious blind spots, the XL1 will come fitted with external video cameras, as early prototypes were spied testing with conventional door mirrors.

Volkswagen is testing two prototypes, with the silver model
looking production-ready. The door handles conceal cameras
which act as door mirrors.
To aid fuel-efficiency, around 23% of the XL1 will be made up of steel with the other 77% made up of special materials, like carbon fibre. This will allow the production car to mirror the XL1 concept’s kerb-weight of 795kg (1,750lbs).

Forward-momentum comes from a turbocharged two-cylinder 800cc diesel unit, which produces 47bhp (50PS/35kW) and is mated to a 7-speed DSG double clutch gearbox. An electric motor that delivers 27bhp (30PS/20kW) is added in to the mix and can run on electricity or work together with the diesel unit.

A low kerb-weight, thin tyres, and a diesel-hybrid system should allow a fuel efficiency figure of 0.9 litres per 100km (310mpg/260mpg U.S) and CO2 emissions of 24g/km. On the performance side, the XL1 will reach 62mph (100km/h) in 11.9 seconds before topping out at 100mph (160km/h).

The Volkswagen XL1 is expected to hit the market in 2013 for a limited production run, so expect very high list prices.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...